Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 2 Post Op

Saturday was post op day 2. It was the worst day I have so far. I hadn't slept since the surgery because I was in the ICU. You have to leave your door open and you can't have visitors at night so my husband couldn't stay with me. I was SO stopped up from my surgery ( I had a turbinectomy too) that I couldn't sleep. I felt like I had the flu. My doctor said they did so many unnatural things to my sinuses that they just have to heal and that eventually I will pass a clot that is in there so that will help my breathing issues. Honestly, not being able to breathe has been the hardest part of my recovery. I kind of lost it that day and gave the nurses some trouble. I was just so frustrated that they couldn't do anything to help my breathing. One nurse said what do you want me to do? It was 3 am and I looked at her like I will tell you what you can do! I took so much medicine to help me breathe I got nauseous but was able to take an hour nap. After the nap I felt much better and spent the afternoon watching football with my husband. I was even able to get down some ensure. I had been living on water and an iv at this point.

One unusual thing is that my surgeon removed my bands so I could breathe easier. He said the plates were holding my jaws in the right place and once I was able to get out of the hospital, he would put the bands back in. I told I was worried about messing the whole thing up but he said it would be fine. Looking back I think we was worried about my oxygen levels and my fluid intake.

Later in the day I felt so much better I was moved to a regular room. So what started off as the worst day ended up pretty good.

One thing I have to say to those about to have the surgery, this may sound bad but it only lasted for a short time and I kept telling myself it's only temporary which seemed to help. I also brought my ipod loaded with positive songs to help me put things in perspective. Day 3 post op was dramatically better.

No comments:

Post a Comment