Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chocolate Angel Recipe

Sorry but this isn't a liquid diet recipe.  I looked up a lot of liquid recipes before my surgery but just ended up blending soups and drinking protein shakes.  Nothing that involved too much work.  This recipe is for when you are able to eat soft foods.  Or if you just want dessert!  =)  It's from my Grandmother who is 90 years old.  She made this for us growing up and is one of my favorites.  My 4 year old likes to help me with this and loves to eat it.  So does the rest of my family.  I hope you enjoy!

Chocolate Angel Dessert
1 12 oz pkg chocolate chips (we use semi sweet)
4 egg yolks, beaten
4 egg whites
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 pint whipping cream, whipped
2 tsp vanilla
1 angel food cake

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler with 2 tablespoons water.
Slowly add beaten egg yolks.  Cool mixture.
Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff.
Add to chocolate mixture.
Whip cream, add vanilla, then fold in chocolate.
Tear half of the cake into bite sized pieces and cover the bottom of a large baking dish.
Cover with half of the chocolate.  Tear remaining cake and repeat layers.
Chill overnight.

*Before my surgery I would add additional chocolate chips or shavings on top for a little crunch.  Adding a strawberry sauce on the plate would probably add to it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment