Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weeks 12/13 - The cost

I wasn't sure if I should post the cost of the surgery but that's the one thing I wanted to know when researching.  I hope I'm not violating any laws.  Well, here it goes.  And yes, it's a lot.

Braces- Just over $6,000
Surgeon's Fee- Just over $33,000
Hospital's Fee- Just over $81,000 (6 hours of surgery, 4 days in the hospital, 3 in ICU because of issues)
Total - $120,000+

I'm not sure if there are any other costs.  I let my husband deal with it because I just get stressed out.  My insurance covered $10,000 of the surgeon's fee (he was not in network, I don't think any surgeon was), most of the hospital cost and $1,000 of the braces.

I hope this helps.  Now to my progress.  I am using the jaw wrap every day for my pain.  Not pain from the surgery, the pain that was there before.  Surgery wise I'm doing good.  I still have that extremely deviated septum and numbness in my chin but other than that I'm doing fine.

Michelle, a blog follower, had surgery this week.   Please keep her in your thoughts.  Have an easy recovery Michelle!

3 comments:

  1. Just wondering how you were able to get $1000 of your braces cost covered by insurance.
    We've been trying to claim my braces as a medical reason, not a cosmetic reason, because I only have them for surgery...my teeth were straight from braces years ago.
    Was it dental or health insurance that covered it? Did they automatically cover or did you have to send them some type of documentation/request?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitneykendra- Hi! We used dental insurance. Ours automatically covered $1,000 of adult braces. My ortho's office contacted the insurance company for us. I also had braces when I was younger so my teeth were pretty straight. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great part of it was covered!
    Unfortunately, I no longer have dental insurance. I'm very thankful health insurance covered the surgery though! Guess I just gotta suck it up with the braces expenses :)

    Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete